Since starting my “clean eating” habit, I’ve been craving my favorite treat – muffins. To ensure my foods are “clean,” I eat simple, whole food and avoid processed artificial ingredients.
That basically eliminates any store-bought muffins that I used to get.
Thanks to Pinterest, I found this chocolate chip zucchini muffin recipe.
They are as “clean” as they come and are absolutely to die for. Over time, I have modified the recipe to my personal preference.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 1 zucchini (medium size)
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat white flour
- ½ cup dairy, soy, and nut-free mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup raw sugar (Turbinado sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Coat a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and mix in the coconut oil, apple sauce, vanilla extract, milk, and lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients into the mixture one by one while mixing.
- Shred the zucchini and add to the batter.
- Mix the ingredients well and pour into the non-stick muffin tin 2/3 of the way.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
You can keep these muffins in the fridge for a few days or freeze them. Every time you want to treat yourself, pop one of those in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
The zucchini makes the muffin really moist, and the chocolate chips give a hint of sweetness without being too sweet. They are my go-to “clean” treat without feeling guilty.
I hope you enjoy these chocolate zucchini muffins as much as I do! Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Happy baking, mamas!
More From Mama Say What?!
- Your Taste of Heaven: Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark
- Discover the Best Way of Cutting a Watermelon (Like a Mama!)
Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock