Like a lot of mamas I love having a bowl of pasta once and a while but I’ve never been one to mix in meatballs. In particular those kind of red meat balls fried in oil.
A little while ago when I began my healthy eating jouney, I made these excellent meatballs a few times. They’re got a huge amount of protein in them without comprising too much on the fat content.
As a bonus, there are some hidden vegetables and they’re also baked – so no cooking oil. I tend to eat a few as soon as they’re cook and will put the rest in the freezer.
Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey (you could use chicken too, but I’ve only tried it with turkey)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dry yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Put all of the ingredients into a bowl, roll-up your sleeves and mix well. I wouldn’t try this with a powered mixer.
Roll the meat into balls. The above quatities should be enough to make around a dozen golf-ball sized meatballs.
Put it in the oven for around 40 minutes. You can do this by either lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper or you can spray a muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray.
Remember to turn over the meatballs halfway through the cooking time ensure they’re evenly cooked.
These turkey meatballs is a good, wholesome recipe that you enjoy guilt free.
Try adding with some homemade tomato sauce or on their own.
More Articles From Mama Say What?!
- A Quick and Easy Green Beans, Potato and Chicken Recipe
- The Best Would You Rather Questions to Liven Up the Festive Holidays
- Discover the Best Way of Cutting a Watermelon (Like a Mama!)
- How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock